One block north of the Colonial Park Cemetery is Savannah’s modest Oglethorpe Square, with benches lining the brick sidewalk. There are no monuments in this square, which pays homage to James Oglethorpe, the founder of Savannah.
It was established in 1742 as Upper New Square, but later renamed after General Oglethorpe. The Owens-Thomas House, which was designed by William Jay in English Regency architectural style and erected in 1819. There’s a transitional style between Georgian and Classic Revival because of the Greek columns and Roman arches.