Right across from the Savannah Civic Center is a sliver of greenery, known as Elbert Square.
Established in 1801, Revolutionary soldier Samuel Elbert gave his name this square. Elbert served as the governor of Georgia and sheriff of Chatham County. Originally, this square was located between Hull and Perry streets on Montgomery Street. The City sold and paved over the square to finance a citywide cistern project.