Posted on July 13, 2011 by linda
1. Visit Georgia’s oldest and tallest lighthouse. Tybee Island Light Station and Museum offers self-guided tours, however, there are volunteers on hand to answer questions. Good luck, as there are 178 steps to the top of the Light Station. Tybee Light Station and Museum, 912-786-5801.
2. Take a guided tour. Be it ghosts, historic homes, architecture, movies, food or all of the above that appeal to you, there are a variety of tours available to enlighten and entertain: Architectural Tours of Savannah, 912-604-6354; Old Savannah Tours, 912-234-8128; Savannah Movie Tours, 912-234-3440; Savvy Savannah Tours, 912-663-4400; Segway of Savannah, 912-233-3554.
3. Take a leisurely horse-drawn carriage tour and clip, clop around the City enjoying the beauty that Savannah is famous for. Carriage Tours of Savannah, 912-236-6756; Historic Savannah Carriage Tours, 912-443-9333.
4. There are several museums devoted to different modes of transportation. Whether your interests lie in land, sea or air you won’t want to miss these: Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum, 41 M.L.K. Blvd., 912-232-1511; Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, 175 Bourne Ave., 912-748-8888; Roundhouse Railroad Museum, 601 W. Harris St., 912-651-6823.
5. Take a guided “Backstage Pass” tour with the puppet queen, Angela Beasley. Angela shares hilarious stories of working and touring the world with the puppets. So, be sure to bring your camera and your sense of humor. Call to book some fun today. 912-355-3366.
6. Enjoy a day on the water! Take a narrated nature cruise, dolphin watch tour, kayak trip, sunset cruise or fish inshore or offshore. You are sure to find a water-related activity to suit all ages and interests. Bull River Marina, 8005 Old Tybee Rd., 912-897-7300; Captain Mike’s Dolphin Adventure, Lazaretto Creek, 912-786-5848; Dolphin Magic, 313 E. River St., 912-897-4990; Savannah Riverboat Cruises, 9 E. River St., 912-232-6404.
7. Fondue is fun for the kids! Have fun dipping into something different at The Melting Pot while enjoying a relaxed dinner with the family. Sunday is Family Night! Order a Big Night Out and receive up to two complimentary children’s entrees. 232 E. Broughton St., 912-349-5676.
8. Come and explore acres of natural beauty and get face to face with fascinating native wildlife at Oatland Island Wildlife Center, located 5 miles from Historic Downtown Savannah off President Street on Islands Expressway, 711 Sandtown Rd., 912-395-1212.