Tucked between West Bryan and West Congress streets, where Habersham and East Saint Julian streets meet, is Warren Square. It was laid out in 1791 and named in honor of General Joseph Warren, a hero of the American Revolution, who was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill during the Revolutionary War in 1775. He wasn’t directly connected to Savannah but his prominence and contributions as a member of the Sons of Liberty and President of the Massachusetts earned him this honor.
Many houses, including the Spencer-Woodbridge House, open to the square. This house was built for William H. Spencer in 1790 and the other surrounding the square date from 1790 to 1820.