Greene Square is a great spot to sit on a bench in the park or bring a blanket for a picnic.
This neighborhood square, established in 1799, honors General Nathanael Greene, an American Revolutionary War hero. General Greene served as second in command to George Washington. After the war he lived about 15 miles outside of Savannah in his “Mulberry Grove” estate. There is also a monument in honor of General Greene in Johnson Square.
In the 19th century Green Square was the central hub for the African-American community. Several prominent buildings surrounded the square. This includes the Cunningham House, built on the northwest corner in 1810 by Henry Cunningham, a former slave and founding pastor of the Second African Baptist Church.
The Second African Baptist Church, then called the Second Colored Church, resided just off the square. In 1802, when the congregation reached 850 members, it split and formed two separate churches. It wasn’t until 1823 that the churches were renamed the First African Baptist Church and the Second African Baptist Church.
Just off the square is the Kate Baldwin Free Kindergarten. Kate A. Baldwin’s children founded the school in 1899, as a memorial for her. This center educated young children and prepared them for the schools they’d soon be entering. Between 1899 and 1943, the Kate Baldwin Free Kindergarten educated about 4,000 children, before later becoming the Savannah Nursery School and the Montessori Pre-School.