It might be hard to imagine that this small square is in the middle of the downtown streets of Savannah. Its serene fountain and live oak trees create an ambient atmosphere amid the bustle. The fountain in the middle of the square is called the Wormsloe Fountain because it was imported in 1970 from one of Georgia’s earliest settlements, Wormsloe Plantation.
The square was laid out in 1799 and is home to the Isaiah Davenport House and Kehoe House. Named Columbia Square, after the popular nickname for the American colonies – Columbia, holds poetic significance as the female personification of the United States. There is also speculation that the name celebrated the founding of the new capital building in the District of Columbia in 1790.
Built in 1820, yhe Davenport House sits on the northwest corner of Columbia Square. It is in the Federal architectural style. Across from it on the northeast corner, is the Francis Stone House, constructed from 1821 until 1823.
Also on the square is the Abraham Sheftall House, built in 1818, on the southwest corner of Columbia Square. The Kehoe House, designed by DeWitt Bruyn in the Classic Revival style in 1892 is another fixture of the square.