Chatham Square is one of the quieter squares in Savannah. It nestles itself into a neighborhood on Barnard Street. It is just a couple blocks away from the lively Liberty Street, where hotels, like the Desoto are located.
In 1847 this quare graced its presence in the City of Savannah. William Pitt, the Earl of Chatham is the square. Pitt was the political leader of Britain during the Seven Years’ War. He fully supported the colonization of Georgia.
Barnard Street School sits on the northwest corner of the square, and some locals refer to it as Barnard Square. Built in 1906 the school represents the Mission architectural style. Today, it serves as serves as a building for the Savannah College of Art and Design.