To make the most of your visit to Savannah, Georgia, take advantage of one or more of the informative and entertaining tours offered throughout the historic city and Savannah’s Beach, Tybee Island! Here are the Top 10 Ways to tour Historic Savannah, Georgia.
Take the opportunity to see up close the history and beauty that is prevalent throughout Savannah!
- Private Walking Tours of Savannah: “Savannah.” Her name just rolls of your tongue. She’s a genteel Southern Dame, with more than a few secrets. At Private Walking Tours of Savannah, we’ll introduce you to her as we take your group on a two-hour stroll through the heart of the Historic District.
- My City Savannah Tour: The “Hostess City of the South” is beckoning you to partake of her hospitality, and My City Savannah Tour tells her story. Loaded with history, this tour revisits the exact locations, homes and monuments where people and innovation came together.
- The Savannah Evening Stroll: As the day begins to cool off and the crowds thin out, the Savannah Evening Stroll begins. We’ll take you on a 90-minute tour from Johnson Square to Forsyth Park, taking in a little history, some homes and maybe even a movie or two.
- Sip N’ Shop Savannah Tours: Wind your way through a 3-hour guided walking tour of downtown Savannah’s characteristic squares while sipping wine and shopping from the city’s finest boutiques. Your tour includes a wine tumbler and complimentary wine throughout the tour, a tote bag and exclusive discounts from the boutiques.
- Genteel & Bard | Fine Savannah Historic District and Ghost Walking Tours: Discover Historic Savannah – beautiful and elegant by day – haunted, hallowed, and strange by night – with quite literally the finest guided Savannah Walking History Tours and Savannah Ghost Tours the Hostess City has to offer.
2. SEGWAY TOURS
Segways are a fun way to take the stress out of planning transportation around the city!
- Savannah Segway Tours: A truly creative and enjoyable way to experience the beauty of Historic Savannah. From the Mercer House to the Tomochichi Monument, the squares visited are historically significant and sure to make your Segway Tour memorable.
- Segway Of Savannah/Savannah Glides: Take a tour with the ORIGINAL Segway Tour Company! Segway tours are always an adventure, an up close & personal tour of the city. You can also visit our Victorian cemetery, Bonaventure. NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
3. FOOD TOURS
Try Savannah’s world-famous and extremely diverse cuisine and spirits. Sink your teeth into extra-crispy fried chicken, authentic shrimp and grits, finger-licking-good barbecue and so much more.
- Savannah Taste Experience Food Tours: Sample delicious foods from several restaurants and specialty food stores as we walk through the picturesque squares while learning about the food, restaurants, history and culture of Savannah. So much fun and enough yummy food for lunch!
4. CARRIAGE TOURS
If you’re a big history buff, a nostalgic romantic or just want to make your way around Savannah’s historic district without walking, then opt for a guided, horse-drawn carriage tour.
- Plantation Carriage Company: Transport yourself back in time and visit America’s first planned city by carriage. See the moss-laden trees, beautiful antebellum homes in addition to Savannah’s magnificent monuments and museums that are over 200 years old. Plantation Carriage Company is Savannah’s premier source for tours around the Historic District, weddings and other special occasions. Tours depart daily from the southeast corner of Ellis Square.
5. TROLLEY TOURS
With these hop-on, hop-off trolley tours of Savannah departing regularly, you never have to waiting too long for a ride. Plus with multiple stops, it’s easy to make your way around most of the city in less time. See all of Savannah’s Historic District’s points of interest, such as Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, River Street, and Pirates House. Hop off at any time to explore shops, restaurants and sights.
- Old Town Trolley Tours® of Savannah: See the Hostess City with the only sightseeing tour officially endorsed by The Historic Savannah Foundation. Enjoy 15 stops with unlimited hop-on, hop-off privileges and the most frequent service. Each tour has live narration from our expert conductors and a 100% Money Back Guarantee.
- Old Savannah Tours: WE BRING SAVANNAH’S HISTORY TO LIFE! Along with our uniquely personal descriptions of Savannah’s rich history, historical re-enactors appear, boarding and walking the aisles of your trolley. You might see Forrest Gump, Georgia founder General James Oglethorpe, or a pirate at the historic Pirate’s House.
6. GHOST TOURS
With a storied history dating back to 1733, it’s no wonder Savannah’s supernatural side has made quite some noise. Find out why Savannah has been named “America’s Most Haunted City” and hear stories about the souls who’ve passed through and stuck around while walking through a cemetery or riding around town in a hearse or trolley on one of the many ghost tours. Rain or shine, day or night, these tours are always a hit.
- Old Town Trolley-Ghosts & Gravestones Tours: Ghosts & Gravestones guests journey through time with EXCLUSIVE nighttime entry into River Street’s Perkins and Sons Ship Chandlery for a haunting experience. When the conductor howls “all aboard!”, will you be there?
- Hearse Ghost Tours: Take a ride if you dare and hear the tales of ghosts and spirits. On our travels you will experience historic Savannah as never before. You will be riding in a real hearse that was in service for over 15 years. Tours last approximately one and a half hours and are conducted by licensed guides.
- Savannah Ghostwalker Tours and Ghost Hunt Experience: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016-2018! Specializing in small groups, take the tour with Patrick, the “Ghost Walker” who is a licensed city tour guide with over 20 years of experience as a paranormal investigator. Walk the eerie streets and documented haunted buildings. Hunt for paranormal activity using K2 EMF meters provided during the tour!
- America’s Most Haunted City Tour: In 2002, the American Institute of Parapsychology awarded Savannah, with the unique distinction of being “America’s Most Haunted City®”. This tour focuses on the stories that have haunted and plagued this city for almost 300 years. Join us as we guide you through this sacred city built on its dead, where our master storytellers will share with you the true and terrifying stories.
7. CEMETERY TOURS
Do you and your friends enjoy exploring spooky cemeteries? Do you enjoy the dark history behind deaths? Then book a tour of Bonaventure Cemetery that will enlighten you with all kinds of stories, from funny to ridiculously morbid.
- Savannah Bonaventure Dash Tours: Our Bonaventure Walking Tour offers roundtrip transportation. Experience over 100 acres of live oak trees, Spanish moss and Victorian funerary art on a walking tour that includes bottled water and a 6th generation Savannahian and history expert. Tours daily with convenient service from downtown hotels and trolley stops.
- Bonaventure Cemetery Journeys with Shannon Scott: Offering both daytime & Savannah’s ONLY evening cemetery tour, this is the Bonaventure adventure with author and filmmaker, Shannon Scott! Exploring Bonaventure for over 20 years, Scott reveals the cemetery’s history, Victorian burial rituals & practices, using dramatic portrayals.
- Savannah Cruzers | Golf Cart Tours at Bonaventure Cemetery: A place of beauty, history and awe! Book a tour and travel in comfort in the 5-passenger golf carts and visit Bonaventure that has been a world famous tourist destination for over 150 years. Sit back and relax while your tour guide shares the history, landscape and points of interest while being shaded from the sun and elements. From the cemetery architecture, the Spanish moss hanging from the trees to the notable people interred here, this will be a memorable experience of Savannah and her beauty.
8. ARCHITECTURAL TOURS
Savannah has long been a melting pot of architectural gems. The city’s preserved Historic District with iconic samples of the best in architecture are definitely worth seeing in person.
- Architectural Tours of Savannah: Architecture is your first encounter when you enter Historic Savannah. See how Savannah’s cultural and economic history shaped architecture from colonial to contemporary designs, including every era in between. Tours are offered daily and most depart from Oglethorpe Square.
9. RIVERBOAT TOURS
If you’re looking to cruise down the Savannah River and learn about all the historic sites, a riverboat cruise offers a new side of Savannah from a new point of view!
- Savannah Riverboat Cruises: See Savannah from the water’s view! Enjoy refreshing river breezes on our sightseeing tour, savor rich flavors of the South during our luncheon cruise, relish in a Southern brunch tradition, engage in cultural entertainment, experience fun filled dinners, romantic sunsets and moonlight party cruises.
10. DOLPHIN CRUISE TOURS
The Georgia coast is well known for its year-round population of dolphin. While most groups of these mammals migrate seasonally, local dolphins enjoy the mild water temperatures all year. Take a dolphin cruise out by Tybee Island, and you are sure to see these beautiful creatures in their natural habitat.
- Dolphin Magic Tours: Tour Savannah’s historic waterways! We invite you to come aboard and enjoy a full featured narrated tour of Savannah’s Riverfront, Waving Girl, Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski (trip route/duration varies according to dolphin location).
- Captain Mike’s Dolphin Tours: Family owned and operated since 1992, Lazaretto Creek Marina and Capt. Mike’s Dolphin Tours have been offering the best in narrated dolphin tours, sunset cruises and deep sea fishing from the serenity of Tybee Island, Georgia.