Posted on September 18, 2016 by Andrea Six
For the first time in the history of the Savannah Food & Wine Festival, organizers will honor Veteran’s Day on Friday, November 11 with the new Q-Masters, Chefs + Vets event, presented by the Big Green Egg, Service Brewing and The Local Palate Magazine. From 8 to 11 p.m., guests can taste the region’s best grilled creations, barbecue and sip a variety of cold beverages and beer at Service Brewing Company, a veteran-owned and -operated craft brewery in Savannah, located off of Bay Street at 574 Indian St.
“It’s going to be a lot of fun with a benevolent twist, immediately following the River Street Stroll,” said Jan Gourley, festival co-founder and director. “We’re hoping to raise $7,000 through ticket sales for the Tiny House Project for Homeless Veterans, a Chatham-Savannah Homeless Authority initiative. The homeless authority is creating a tiny house community to provide homeless people a respite. Construction costs for each of the tiny homes costs approximately $7,000, with the first homes constructed designated for homeless veterans.”
In addition to giving back, ticket holders will have the opportunity to taste grilled delicacies, world-famous barbecue and some of the best side dishes the South has to offer. Ultimate grill masters, pitmasters and chefs at this event include:
• Rodney Scott, Scott’s Barbecue, Hemingway; opening soon in Charleston
• Harrison Sapp & Griffin Bufkin, Southern Soul Barbecue, St. Simons Island
• Kenny Gilbert, Gilbert’s Underground Kitchen, Jacksonville
• Bryan Furman, B’s Cracklin’ BBQ, Savannah
• Kent Rathbun, Kent Rathbun Concepts, Dallas
• Kevin Rathbun, Rathbun’s Restaurants, Atlanta
• David Carrier, Certified Burgers & Beverage, St. Simons Island
• Matthew Raiford, The Farmer & The Larder, Brunswick
• Clayton Rollison, Lucky Rooster, Hilton Head Island
• Michael Gottlieb, Wood’s Kitchen, Bloomingdale
This special Veterans Day Block Party will take place at Service Brewing. Purchased tickets will include great wines, cocktails and, of course, Service’s brews, which can all be enjoyed listening to some rocking live music. Discounted combination tickets are available for those who want to participate in both Friday, November 11 events, the River Street Stroll and then afterwards, walk over to Q-Masters, Chefs + Vets for $89. Tickets for just the Q-Masters, Chefs + Vets are $59 per person and can be purchased at SavannahFoodandWineFestival.com.
The Savannah Food & Wine Festival takes place throughout Savannah from Nov, 7-13, 2016, with celebrity chefs and winemakers, connoisseur dinners, one-of-a-kind culinary, spirits and wine experiences.